Monday, August 21, 2006

I suppose it is time to play catch up on the goings on around here for all you who are interested (a very select few, I'm sure).

The first day of school went very well. Colin couldn't go to sleep the night before because of excitement, but a small piece of cheese seemed to put him out. Spencer, in his usual form, woke up quite early. At 6:50 a.m. I felt a little tap on my shoulder and Spencer whispered, "Mommy, I'm going to wake you up at Seven-dot-dot-oh-oh. I said okay and pretended to sleep while waiting. He climbed up on the bed and sat next to me with his hand on my shoulder while he watched the clock. After a few minutes, he said, "10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. . . . nothing happened. Okay, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Hmmm." He got down off the bed to play with his airplane and I waited. Suddenly he gave me a good plunk on the arm and said, "MOMMY! It is seven -dot-dot-oh-two!!"

Anyway, we made it to school early and took the traditional first day of school pictures. The boys were anxious to get rid of us and get on with their day, so we took the hint and left. I ended up working 7 hours that day, which did wonders to keep me from crying my eyes out!

Colin was still too excited to sleep the next night, so he came into the living room and suggested he might need Lunesta. Some children ask for sugary cereals and trendy toys. Colin: medication.

Despite cheeky remarks from my readers, I have been quite busy around here. I'm not one to stay home eating bon bons whilst my children are at school! I spent Thursday and Friday AT work. Saturday we went to a safety fair at our church and I spent the afternoon running errands. The big day was Sunday, though.


Sunday, we became the "adoptive" parents of a twenty-year-old college student who is starting his freshman year at a local university. He has just arrived from Rwanda! We have been anticipating his arrival for months and couldn't be more pleased to finally meet him. He is gentle, sweet and enthusiastic. Our time with him Sunday was just beautiful. We brought small gifts for him and he was as excited as a young child to open them. Our hearts are full of joy and gratitude for this newest member of our family - so much so that I can hardly talk about it.

So now begins a new phase in our lives. Kindergarten, 2nd Grade and now College Freshman. And we thought we were busy before!

Our cup runneth over.

5 Comments:

Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Our cup runneth over.

You are blessed.

And I pray that it increases.

later...

5:56 PM, August 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are awesome. I'm glad you will be sharing your lives with JP.
JO

9:16 PM, August 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved how excited/serious/proud your boys looked as your family went up front with your student. It was precious!

10:33 PM, August 22, 2006  
Blogger Katrina said...

How very wonderful! May God bless your family and use you to bless the life of your newest family member!

12:28 AM, August 25, 2006  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

I know you are just swamped and all.

Just haven't heard ~anything~ out of you for quite some time.

I hope that things are well at your house.

later...

8:54 PM, August 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->