Monday, November 20, 2006

The Spencerator

This morning I was awakened by a gentle pat on my head and a whispered announcement that it was time to wake up. I squinted at the little boy beside me, who was fully dressed for school, and said, "Okay." He made his way over to his daddy and did the same with a promise to walk on daddy's back. I asked if he would walk on my back, too. "Yes," he replied, "after my good morning hug."

So, I got a hug and then he walked on my back. He knows just the right spots: upper middle. Daddy gets lower middle. It is the most perfect way to awaken that I can imagine.

That's my Spencer. He is an amazing little boy.

Last week I walked Spencer into his kindergarten class. He put his folder in its place, signed himself into class and then walked over and pulled his entire allowance out of his pocket. "Mommy, will you put this in the compassion jar for me?" (The children are sponsoring a child in Equador). I asked if he meant to give me his entire allowance and he nodded yes. He stuck his hands back in his pocket and walked over to greet his best friend.

This is a boy who occassionally finds a rag, gets it wet and starts cleaning walls in our house...just to help out.

This is a boy who, after getting two staples in his head, was offered a lollipop and took it so he could offer it to the boy who knocked him into the wall which caused the injury.

Spencer's gentle and generous nature has won him countless friends. Indeed, I am quite sure he has no enemies. Even animals respond to him. I am so blessed to be in his family.

I love this boy.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger babyivanov said...

What a sweet, sweet description! I would imagine those who have never met Spencer love and admire him already.

1:10 PM, November 20, 2006  
Blogger Violet N. said...

He's an inspiration!

What's that verse - "A little child shall lead them"? He's one of those leaders for sure.

12:49 PM, November 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful description of your son. It brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for posting this.

4:29 PM, November 28, 2006  
Blogger Lura said...

Very sweet. I hope that my 3 boys will be like that someday!

9:50 PM, December 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->