Saturday, August 21, 2004

Get Real
I spent a lovely afternoon with a friend. We ate lunch at a Mexican dive and then looked around an antique garden shop. Mostly we sat and talked.

"So," she started, "How is your spiritual life?"

This is not a girl who talks shoes. And its quite refreshing. We have known each other for years as casual acquaintances, but our friendship is growing past talk of the weather. We talked about struggles with daily Bible study, things we're trying to change about ourselves, lessons we've learned from God, and how we came to attend the same church. She told me her desire is for the women of our church to connect on a deeper level each time we see each other, and we discussed why people stay on the surface level of relationships. I'd love to hear my reader's thoughts on that issue. How many people are you completely real with? Do you discuss God and your walk with Him? Do you share your fears and desires? If not, what keeps you from it?

We also talked about my post on being set apart. It is related, really, to having intimate relationships. Would a "visitor" notice your conversations including Godly matters? Or would they see a focus on apparel, home decorations and food (or, even worse, gossip)?

I have a few friends who will ask me what I'm studying in the Bible, or how my spiritual life is. They hold me accountable, and I appreciate it. Everyone needs friends who lead to a higher ground, friends you can trust with confidences and count on to tell you the truth. I'm grateful for this new friendship, and I hope you'll be inspired to step out and strengthen your friendships.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->