Monday, March 06, 2006

Calling All Oklahoma Bloggers
We've all heard that Charles Barkley made some disparaging remarks about Oklahoma recently. Not that he has ever been to Oklahoma…he just has an image in his head and feels free to make bold statements based thereon. As I read an article in the Daily Oklahoman yesterday about the worldwide perceptions of Oklahoma, it occurred to me that we, as bloggers, are in a unique position to address these errant ideas. We can show the world what Oklahoma is really all about.

You know, it occurs to me that most people who have wrong ideas about places have never visited, and the Midwest is subject to more than its share of wrong ideas because few people visit us! Midwesterners are surprisingly well traveled. We visit New York and Seattle, San Diego and Miami. We cross the seas for Japan, Russia, Rwanda, Nigeria, England, Switzerland, France and Germany…we are actually quite aware of the world around us. Ironically, it is the sophisticated city dwellers who look down on us as if they have special information, yet they haven’t traveled to our small towns and experienced our lifestyles the way we have gone out to learn about them.

So, in the spirit of education, I’m calling on all Oklahoma bloggers to write a post or two about what makes your community special. Dispel the notions that we all live in huts (or teepees!) and subsist on public aid. Maybe you could post photographs of ACTUAL PAVED ROADS! Let’s give the world a look at our beautiful, vibrant and diverse state!

(If you don't have a blog, you can email me your thoughts and photos and I might just post them!!)

7 Comments:

Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

That's a good idea, Jan.

But, we need to be careful on which roads we want to post pictures of.

If you know what I mean.

later...

10:50 PM, March 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barkley has in fact been to OKC. I believe the Suns played an exhibition game here a few years agao while he was still affiliated with the team.

Good idea though about the posts. However, my eldest is in Vancouver BC telling everyone that we use outhouses, have to shoo buffalo off the roads and that we all drive on the left side of the road, if the county we live in starts with a vowel.

Anyway, 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

2:43 PM, March 07, 2006  
Blogger CGHill said...

The road that runs by my hut is paved, albeit not well.

9:04 PM, March 07, 2006  
Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

I'm with you, except that I don't think Oklahoma is in the Midwest.

Ohio is in the Midwest. Missouri is in the Midwest. Oklahoma is NOTHING like either of these two places, trust me.

A little South, a little West, a lot Southwest, sure.

Any place where you can eat grits covered in green chile is NOT in the Midwest!

6:39 PM, March 11, 2006  
Blogger Father Aristibule Adams said...

Yes, coming from Territory folks - we've *never* considered Oklahoma the Midwest. It was part of the South (and still is in many ways), later counted as part of the Southwest (more and more so.) It reminds me of one of Tulsa''s old slogans: "Where the South Meets the West" or boilerplate along those lines. It is that 'Oklahoma Quadrant' thing - 'Little Dixie' Southeast, Ozark Northeast, Great Plains Northwest, and the Southwest is much like New Mexico.

Green chile is a good point - Oklahoma is also a state where Spanish mission architecture has been historically used, and fits! That sure isn't the Midwest.

11:37 PM, March 11, 2006  
Blogger Redneck Diva said...

Wait...there are Oklahomas living in actual houses on paved roads!? My gosh, I better tell my husband to get out of the sweat lodge and go find us a teepee upgrade.

There is much controversy around here as to whether Oklahoma is South, Southwest, Midwest or a nation all it's own. Oops there I go again, alluding to Indian Territory.

5:21 PM, March 12, 2006  
Blogger Jan said...

okay, okay!!! I will concede we are in the Southwest. I didn't mean to start a controversy, but simply made a little mistake! I grew up in the midwest (Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa...) so think of myself as a midwesterner and sometimes slip up!

3:31 PM, March 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->