Monday, November 20, 2006

Scarlett Johansson says, "We are supposed to be liberated in America but if our President had his way, we wouldn't be educated about sex at all. "Every woman would have six children and we wouldn't be able to have abortions."

Um....WHAT????

Ms. Johannson, who is twice yearly tested for HIV due to her "social awareness," has made this statement against President Bush and his ideas about teaching that abstinence is the only sure way to protect against sexually transmitted diseases and his belief that abortion is wrong.

So, her argument seems to be that if children are taught the very best method for avoiding disease, the only thing left for them to do is ignore the advice and have six dreadful children.

I know the argument is supposed to be that children who are taught abstinence is a good choice can't possibly be expected to abstain and so we do them a disservice by not teaching other methods of birth control (and disease control), but can we get real here? The truth of the matter is children can be taught about sex and barrier methods AND be taught about abstaining from sex.

I think what I find most disturbing, however, is the proposition that those of us who make prudent choices to keep sexual relations within marriage - and those of us who choose to have children - are somehow not liberated. Or educated. It seems to me I am living a life of freedom far greater than a woman who worries about HIV testing twice a year. I must be more educated than a woman who needs an abortion because she couldn't (or wouldn't) control herself.* Where is the freedom in the life of such a woman?

Honestly, I'm offended by Ms. Johannson's comments. She is a beautiful and talented woman, but I am now off the fan list.

* I am aware that circumstances that lead to abortion are sometimes more complicated than this, but because of Ms. Johansson's flip comments, I am assuming this is the sort of situation about which she speaks.

4 Comments:

Blogger CGHill said...

There is a substantial segment of society which defines "freedom" as "screwing anyone I want, anywhere I want, any time I want," and nothing more than that.

At least with her semiannual HIV tests she's taking some responsibility. But it's probably never occurred to her that there are ways to avoid HIV besides prophylactic methods.

7:19 PM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

I'm really getting sick and tired of the "politically correct" verbage.

Being "socially aware" should be called what it is...

permiscuous.


So when she gets that positive HIV test result back, then what is she going to say?


"I didn't know?"

or

"How could this have possibly happened to me?!"


Great post Jan.

later...

9:48 PM, November 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's just SO sad. She is still very young. WHERE is her mother??

Really. It is not impossible to raise children to respect God, other people and themselves.

I hate this idea that many people have that sex is as necessary to life as clean air and clean water.

She might be beautiful and have a lot of talent and money, but, what an empty life of looking for love in all the wrong places.

Great post, Jan. As always.

Judy - Anybody Home
www.judyh58.blogspot.com

10:34 AM, November 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jan,
This is Barb aka Lovely Wife, here. I am so offended by Johannson's comments about abstinence, abortion, and the burden of children, but what is even more frightening is she is only the tip of this generation's iceberg. She speaks for so many of her young peers (she just turned 22)who have no public platform, that it makes me shiver. She speaks with no sense of logic whatsoever. How do I calm myself and try to figure out this misguided thinking? How do we as Christians respond?
Thank you for your calm, thoughtful, and intelligent response, Jan. I am with you in saying "goodbye" to miss scarlett and all of her films.

Barb

6:40 PM, November 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->