Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Yesterday I took my boys to their first amusement park: Frontier City. Some friends had invited us to join them, but when I told the boys, they were less than excited. In fact, they told me they don't like amusement parks and they were not going. Knowing my boys as I do, I was quite certain they would love amusement parks, so I made them go. I dragged them there. It was a silent ride with two little boys sitting in the back, arms folded and scowling at their bad mommy.

We were there less than one minute before their dispositions did a 180. Nobody enters the park without a stroll through the souvenier shop, and that alone was worth the trip for them! We pushed them through and headed for the tea cups. One ride and they were hooked!

We started slow with canoe rides, a climbing feature and swirling tea cups, then moved on to the big rocking boat. Colin was reluctant to get on the boat, but Spencer and I talked him into it. Three minutes later, Spencer and I were green and Colin was wanting to go again!

The boys loved the swings that swirl around, so we did that a few times and then headed over to let the boys drive the Model A's around the track. Somewhere around there I found myself on the Silver Bullet with Spencer.

Big. Mistake.

The ride probably lasts about one minute, and in that time I thought of curse words I hadn't thought of since the 70s. That thing was a monster. We went upside down and sideways. And we went fast. I think the thing came off the tracks a couple of times. I can't believe I didn't puke.

I could barely walk away from the ride and I was sick for hours afterward. I was the mommy who watched the purses and took photos for the rest of the day. What was I thinking? I'm 42 now. As James said, "There's a reason old people don't ride those things."

The rest of the day was a jumble for me. The boys rode the wooden roller coaster and a bunch of other crazy rides. They were absolutely loving the amusement park! The boys had a chance to go around again for their favorite rides before we left. Colin chose the rocking boat and Spencer chose the "coffee cups." I think they're hooked.

I, however, am feeling a little queasy again today. My brain feels altered, too. Ugh.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

I'm so sorry.

You might consider taking a decongestant.

You'll probably feel better if you did.

Glad the boys had fun though!

later...

9:45 PM, September 05, 2006  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Checking in on you.

Hope you are feeling better!

later...

9:57 PM, September 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->