Sunday, October 09, 2005

The Boys Are Back in Town
My family returned to me today. Colin said he didn't have much fun because they didn't get to stay long enough. Apparently, he found lots of fun things to do on the ranch. He came home with at least 6 bags of stuff he found, including the skeleton of a cow. Yes, I believe he may have the entire skeleton. We also have a bag of "seaweed" from the pond and a fairly large turtle shell. They caught some fish. Colin said, "Yeah, I wanted to eat 'em, but they threw them back." Sentimental fool.

After a big bowl of spaghetti, each boy curled up next to me and promptly fell to sleep. That is the sign of a good weekend if I ever saw one.

My weekend was productive, even though I only accomplished a third of what I hoped to do. I finally finished last year's school scrapbook on Friday night and then settled in for my own personal retreat to plan the retreat I'm heading up this January. I spent most of the day by the shores of Lake Hefner near a bunch of tall yellow flowers that attracted Monarch butterflies all day long. The retreat is about God's creativity, so it was the perfect setting for study. I spent more than an hour eating at an outdoor Mexican restaurant while I studied. That atmosphere wasn't quite as perfect, but I enjoyed myself and got a lot done there, too.

This morning I held babies in the nursery and got to feed one little boy. It was so precious. Sometimes on my nursery days I grumble a bit because I don't want to miss the worship, but I usually walk away blessed by those babies. Today was doubly good because I got to "work" with my friend SS - a true gem of a friend.

I've been spending a lot of time in Genesis 1-2 lately because of my Bible study and my preparation for the retreat. The story is so familiar, it is easy to skim through it and not pay attention. If you'll take time to read it very closely, you will uncover some incredible things you never knew you never knew. For example, take Gen. 1:2. The Spirit hovered over the waters before God began His creation. Then we learn all throughout the New Testament about the Holy Spirit preparing our hearts to hear God's Word. The Spirit has ALWAYS prepared the way, even before time. Isn't that incredible? I challenge you to read those first two chapters carefully and see what new truths you can find.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have learned two new truths (to me) from the study! One is that there was never ANY rain until the flood. God watered by streams that came up from the earth, not rain. (Gen 2:6) Another truth that I have learned is that God banishing them from the garden was an act of mercy. If they would have eaten from the tree of life, they/we would have lived eternally in this fallen world. If we had cancer, we would live forever with it, etc. I had never viewed that as an act of mercy, but rather an act of discipline/anger. It was not done out of anger, but of love.

...And you are also a gem of a friend, Jan!! SS

9:37 PM, October 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->